[gdal-dev] Possible bug: hard limit to the number of Datasets creatable in a Python process?

Michal Migurski mike at stamen.com
Tue Aug 14 12:00:20 PDT 2012

I'm experiencing a reproducible bug.

I create new 258x258 pixel datasets like this:

	driver = gdal.GetDriverByName('GTiff')
	handle, filename = mkstemp(dir=tmpdir, prefix='dem-tools-hillup-data-render-', suffix='.tif')
	ds = driver.Create(filename, width, height, 1, gdal.GDT_Float32)

I also open a number of datasets in the same process using gdal.Open() and warp them together with gdal.ReprojectImage().

When I have created 1,020 new datasets / opened 2,041 total datasets, I get a None back from driver.Create(). This number is stable, and appears unrelated to the specific datasets that I'm creating. Datasets are being flushed and falling out of scope, so I believe that they're correctly being closed when they should. Do these numbers sound like known, hard internal limits to anyone?

I'm using the 1.6 Python bindings on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.

-mike.

michal migurski- mike at stamen.com
                 415.558.1610