[gdal-dev] strange behaviour with gdalwarp and LZW compression

Stefano Iacovella stefano.iacovella at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 18:19:08 EST 2012

Hello all

I'm using gdal utilities to georeference some tiff files.

I'm inserting the gcp using:

 gdal_translate -gcp ....  original.tif original_gcp.tif

Then I use gdalwarp to gereference the images:

 gdalwarp -t_srs EPSG:32633 original_gcp.tif original_warp.tif

The resulting Geotiff is correctly georeferenced and the size is
approximately the same of the original

The problem arise if I insert the options -co COMPRESS=LZW at the
warping. The process end successfully but the resulting geotiff is 6
times the size of the original one!

I've tried to use:

gdal_translate -of GTIFF -co COMPRESS=LZW original_warp.tif
original_warp_lzw.tif

and it produces a geotiff smaller than the original.

Am I doing something incorrect?

thank you in advance

Stefano
41.95581N 12.52854E