[gdal-dev] ImportError when importing gdal module with python 2.7 on Windows 7 64-bit

Rutger kassies at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 02:42:08 PST 2012

Hey,

I have similar problems as well. In the past i always used the windows
builds from Tamas, they have always worked very well for me on 32bit and
64bit (Win XP) with the exception that i never could access the HDF and
NetCDF driver from within Python (i could using the .exe cmd tools).

This made me switch to the Windows build from Christoph Gohlke (awesome site
for Win users! big thx!). His GDAL build works for me on Windows 32bit, but
using Dependancy Walker i see that the msvc*90.dll's it uses are from a
"h4toh5 convert" tool from the HDF group.

On 64bit i also get the DLL not found error for Gohlke's build. Dependancy
Walker mentions the MSVCP90.dll and MSVCR90.dll as missing. I installed all
MS redist packages mentioned at Gohlke's website, but this doesnt make any
difference. I can find alot of version of the DLL's in my WinSxS folder in
the Windows directory. Copying some of these to the osgeo folder resolves
Dependency Walker's warnings, but doesnt resolve the import error from GDAL
(maybe it needs a specific version, but which?).

Regards,
Rutger