[gdal-dev] OGR SQL: Excecuting select where column name contains "."

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Tue Oct 9 01:41:06 PDT 2012

Even Rouault <even.rouault <at> mines-paris.org> writes:

> I've looked at WFS 1.1 spec, and at page 17 (§7.3 Property names), I see that
> the definition of the property name allows a dot character. So this is
> theoretically valid...

TinyOWS is now theoretically fixed
https://github.com/mapserver/tinyows/issues/17

I had also a test with Mapserver and it did handle dot.attribute names OK.
However, I had to rename my dot.table because Mapserver got lost when querying
the table for getting the schema.

[Tue Oct  9 10:56:02 2012].214191 msPostGISLayerGetItems(): Query error. Error
(ERROR:  schema "dot" does not exist
LINE 1: select * from dot.test where false limit 0
                      ^
) executing SQL: select * from dot.test where false limit 0
[Tue Oct  9 10:57:12 2012].923891 msPostGISLayerGetItems(): Query error. Error
(ERROR:  schema "dot" does not exist
LINE 1: select * from dot.test where false limit 0
                      ^
) executing SQL: select * from dot.test where false limit 0

I do not have Geoserver in my hands right now but I believe that this has been
enough to prove that dots in attribute and feature type names will make so many
clients and servers to fail that it should be considered as Bad Practice.

-Jukka-