[gdal-dev] gdalwarp and Natural Earth

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Sun Sep 16 08:06:28 PDT 2012

Le samedi 15 septembre 2012 21:01:10, Pierre GIRAUD a écrit :
> Hello all,
>
> A new "Natural Earth" projection was added recently to the PROJ.4 library.
> http://www.shadedrelief.com/NE_proj/
>
> I'm trying to figure out if and how it is possible to transform a
> raster file (GeoTIFF) using this projection.
>
> I've tried the following unsuccessfully:
> gdalwarp -t_srs '+proj=natearth' -s_srs EPSG:4326 map_4326.tif
> map_natearth.tif ERROR 1: Translating source or target SRS failed:
> +proj=natearth
>
> Does GDAL have support for this projection? Does it rely on PROJ for
> that purpose? Should I have something to be configured specifically
> while compiling it?

With GDAL < 2.0, you can try the following :

-t_srs 'LOCAL_CS["foo", EXTENSION["PROJ4", "+proj=natearth +wktext"]]'

This is a bit hackish, but that should work with any PROJ.4 projection that
isn't explicitely supported by GDAL.

With GDAL 2.0dev, the following is sufficient :

 -t_srs '+proj=natearth +wktext'

Note that, in both cases, you need to specify +wktext to instruct GDAL not to
alter the proj.4 string that is specified.