[gdal-dev] Does -where read always the whole WFS layer?

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Mon Sep 17 00:44:36 PDT 2012

Hi,

I compared a few WFS requests with ogr2ogr by filtering either with -where or
with -sql doing the same select. The -where option was reading the whole feature
type and filtering the result on the client side while -sql was building a
GetFeature request with filter. Is it always so that with the -where option GDAL
is sending plain GetFeature and filters the result on client side?

My test request was the most simple one -where address='Streetname 10' vs. -sql
"select * from lv:address where address='Streetname 10"

-Jukka Rahkonen-