[gdal-dev] NLCD images and north

David Strip gdal at stripfamily.net
Mon Dec 9 21:04:19 PST 2013

I downloaded some NLCD test data (roughly Washington DC, for what it's
worth) using the NationalMap viewer and I see the apparent rotation, but
actually it's not rotated. I suspect you are seeing the same phenomenon.
Your download includes, among other files, a .tif file with the image,
and a .tfw file that defines the "world" in terms of the projection
defined in the .prj file. In my  experiment the .tfw file shows no
rotation (entries 2 and 3 are equal to 0). However, the projection is an
Albers Equal Area projection, so the image boundaries don't align to the
tif boundaries. If you open your file in something like qgis and set the
projection to the appropriate UTM zone or similar projection, you'll
probably get what you're expecting - a north-south rectangle containing
your data. At least that's what happened when I tried it. (And of course
that's what it should be according the .tfw file)