[gdal-dev] ogr2ogr convert e00 to shp

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Fri Feb 15 12:58:13 PST 2013

Murat,

> I was creating shp file using ogr2ogr as follows
>
> avcimport file.e00 coverage
>
> ogr2ogr -f "ESRI Shapefile" file.shp coverage
>
> This was worked well for old version of gdal
>
> I have installed gdal 1.9 then I have faced such a problem
>
> the ogr2ogr command create a directory and shp file located unter that
> directory.
> But old version of ogr2ogr was created files under the same directory where
> you work

I think that ogr2ogr has (sometimes) created shapefiles in directories
for a long time before 1.9.

> the old version of ogr2ogr creates file.shp file.shx file.dbf
>
> but new version create directory under working directory called file.shp
> instead of file.shp file
> and the shp files located under file.shp directory
>
> Please let me know what is differs this resuts.
>
> Regards
> Murat

The shapefile driver page talks about this some,
http://gdal.org/ogr/drv_shapefile.html

I notice similar things (this is with PostGIS datasource).  If the
output shp file is the same name as input source then the shp is
created in the specified directory.  If it is a different name, then I
get a directory.

ogr2ogr V:\Data\E_addendum\Assessor\2012\nbhd\nbhd_codes_2012_postgis2.shp
PG:"host=123.12.12.12 user=username dbname=mydatabase
password=mypassword" taxlots2012_union_valid_nbhd_codes_v1 -a_srs
"EPSG:2913"

creates a directory and then the shp (and the shp has the name of the
original datasource), i.e.
V:\Data\E_addendum\Assessor\2012\nbhd\nbhd_codes_2012_postgis2.shp\taxlots2012_union_valid_nbhd_codes_v1.dbf,
.shp, etc

ogr2ogr V:\Data\E_addendum\Assessor\2012\nbhd\taxlots2012_union_valid_nbhd_codes_v1.shp
PG:"host=123.12.12.12 user=username dbname=mydatabase_template
password=mypassword" taxlots2012_union_valid_nbhd_codes_v1 -a_srs
"EPSG:2913"

creates the named shp in the directory.

I have occasionally found this a minor annoyance.  Is there a config
or creation option to change this?  A search of the email archives
didn't turn anything up for me.

Eli