[gdal-dev] Using the OGR library with FileGDB driver

Carl Godkin cgodkin at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 15:23:31 PDT 2013

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 2:35 PM, Even Rouault <even.rouault at mines-paris.org>
 wrote:

> ok, that one is actually known. It is also a defect of the FileGDB SDK. See
> http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/4578 and
> http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/4224

Thanks, Even.  I should have looked through the Trac tickets myself before
asking.

I guess that the SDK's limitations are just going to make .gdb files hard
to use if there is compression or a custom coordinate system.

Too bad that the SDK's error message does not mention the custom SRS
limitation although I found it mentioned in the PPT that Xavier pointed me
at earlier (
http://proceedings.esri.com/library/userconf/devsummit13/papers/devsummit-170.pdf
 ).

I wonder if there is a way to determine if a .gdb is using a custom
coordinate system so we can make a sensible error message.

I find that in ArcGIS Explorer, selecting the "Source Data" on the
"Properties" dialog lists the Coordinate System by name followed by a
number in parentheses.  From the datasets I've tried, if the number in
parentheses is zero, then it's apparently custom.  Otherwise it the ESRI
coordinate system number.  I don't suppose anyone knows of a way to get at
this information from the FileGDB API, do they?  I will investigate further
if no one replies.

Thanks for the help,

carl