[gdal-dev] Empty region after projecting GeoTIFF from 4326 to 102113

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Mar 7 14:23:52 PST 2013

Jason,

gdalwarp uses a sampling technique to figure out the region of the
source image needed to produce each tile of the output image and this
works poorly for transformation "interruptions" like datelines.

Some warp options which have an effect are documented at:

  http://www.gdal.org/structGDALWarpOptions.html#a0ed77f9917bb96c7a9aabd73d4d06e08

(linked from the gdalwarp utility docs).

I think you need something like:

gdalwarp -wo SOURCE_EXTRA=100 ...

This means, for whatever imagery chunk the system thinks it needs, add
100 pixels around it.

Adding SAMPLE_STEPS to a largish value would also help but unless it
is really huge you will still likely miss a wee bit of imagery.

Best regards,
Frank