[gdal-dev] multiple access to a file

Jose Gomez-Dans jgomezdans at gmail.com
Mon May 20 15:46:57 PDT 2013

Hi,
I have a rather demanding processing scheme (read data from files, and
process pixel per pixel). It's trivial to parallelise (just do pixels in
different machines/cores), and I intend to run this on several machines on
our cluster.

I'm unsure whether I can use GDAL (python bindings) like this. My idea
would be to first create the output files. After this, the scene is split
into several windows, and different works start processing the different
windows. Once a worker is done, it gets a handle to the created file and
writes a chunk to it, closes the handle an exits.

Questions are: does this "create and fill" make sense? Do I need to lock
the output files, or can I just write to the file handles (the windows
don't overlap)? Is this format dependent? Am I missing something? I'd
rather avoid creating lots of intermediate files to then stitch up.

Thanks!
Jose