[gdal-dev] multiple access to a file

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon May 20 16:02:15 PDT 2013

Jose,

I'm sorry, but I don't think this will work trivially.

If you write a small part of an image, GDAL is likely to read a larger
area, update that and write it back.  If other programs happen to try and
update the same larger area at the same time some data is likely to be
lost.

If you are careful to write on tile/block boundaries, and use an output
file that preinitializes everything then it might work but it is likely to
be somewhat fragile.

Best regards,
Frank

warmerdam at pobox.com