[gdal-dev] GME driver for OGR

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Tue Oct 29 02:04:07 PDT 2013

Wolf,

> > The boilerplate code is quite typical of the standard OGR driver. You would
> > need/want a shared connection among different OGRGMEDataSource ? That would
> be
> > the point of moving it at the driver level. Actually I've coded something
> like
> > that in the FGDB driver since there's a bug in the underlying SDK and you
> > cannot open simultaneously several connections to the same datasource.
>
> I'm thinking that there is rarely any reason to separate the
> connections, except if, maybe we'd like to support multiple accounts,
> so that you can get table A using account A, and table B with account
> B. But then again why don't you simply give access to A for both
> tables? The way I see it we only need a single connection since the
> API is RESTful.

That makes sense. I don't think that there is a real use case with connecting 2
different accounts within the same OGR process. But if you share connection
between data sources, you should make sure that the sharing at the driver level
is thread-safe (mutex, etc...) since it is valid for 2 OGRDataSource of the same
driver to be used in parallel in different threads.

> > Another driver using OAuth2 or those GME concepts in a brother driver ? I
> have
> > some troubles imagining what you have in mind, not having dug myself into
> the
> > topic.
> >

> Yeah, something like that, can't get into specifics at this point. I
> hope we'll announce it soon, though. Again I want to prepare for
> what's coming,and looking for some advice on best practices. I hope to
> avoid realizing in 2 months that I need to refactor the
> OGRGMEDatasource fully, but otoh that's not going to be the end of the
> world, if I have to do it that way.

OK. Well you're probably the one with the best vision of what can be shared ;-)

Even