[gdal-dev] makegdal_gen.bat and Visual Studio version > 2010

Ivan Lucena lucena_ivan at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 16 10:33:32 PDT 2014

Hi there,

The script "makegdal_gen.bat" on the root of GDAL folder was developed in 2007 and the intension was to create an usable Visual Studio "Makefile Project" with the GDAL source tree and commands to run GDAL makefile.vc.

An VS "Makefile Project" doesn't not store any compilation option like a regular Visual Studio C++ project, it just run the nmake command as you define. But can borse the source tree, use the the IDE tools for debugging and all the intelisense fancy stuff.

Since it still used the "nmake.opt" and the very smart "nmake.local" you can choose between build on the IDE or use the command line, with the same settings. If you have a simple C++ project you can't build with nmake, as far as I know.

The problem is that until VS 2010 your could still run the "makegdal_gen.bat" and use "Open Project" in Visual Studio and it would make changes and import the .vcproj file to the new VS Makefile project.

But that doesn't work anymore. At least with VS 2012. After "Open Project" it does imports the .vcproj file but instead of a "Makefile" project, it creates an regular C++  project without importing the options from nmake.opt.

It might be possible to analize the new structure of a VS 2012 Makefile project and fix makegdal_gen.bat to generate an appropiate new profile files (.vcxproj, .vcxproj.filters, .vcxproj.user)

So if someone has the interest in taking that task, that would be great. I don't know if people even uses that thing, so we might be better off by drop it all together.

In the mean time we should also get rid of those old "makegdalNN.vcproj" from SVN. If someone need then, they can generate with makegdal_gen.bat and get an updated source code tree.

I don't know who create the makegdal10{.sln,.vcproj.,vcproj.filters} that seems to be a hand-made C++ Project and that doesn't belong on that discussion.

Regards,

Ivan