[gdal-dev] Reveal the meaning of (rw+vs) in driver capabilities

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Mon Aug 18 03:20:11 PDT 2014

Hi,

Gdalinfo --formats prints a list of formats and capabilities of each driver
with abbreviations like

BAG -raster- (ro)
ECW -raster- (rov)
JP2ECW -raster- (rov)
FITS -raster- (rw+)
GMT -raster- (rw)

I believe that I know the meaning of abbreviations myself but I tried to
help someone else and I could not find any good document. How about adding a
little more to gdalinfo manual page http://www.gdal.org/gdalinfo.html?

gdalinfo --formats
Prints a compact list of all supported formats and basic capabilities of
each driver. Driver capabilities are expressed as
r: read
ro: read only
w: write "Create dataset by copying another"
w+: write with support to update "create writable dataset"
s: supports subdatasets
v: supports virtual IO - eg. /vsimem/

gdalinfo --format [format name] e.g. gdalinfo --format GTiff
Prints a comprehensive report of the capabilities of the specified driver.

-Jukka Rahkonen-