[gdal-dev] Is there documetation about filters and some python utilities?

Frank Broniewski brfr at metrico.lu
Tue Feb 18 23:49:11 PST 2014

Me too :-)

I've written a script which uses GDAL, mdenoise and ImageMagick to
create hillshade maps from SRTM which are more appealing than the
standard hillshade computation images. Python is used as a glue
between the commands and to provide a user interface on the command
line. You can have a look here [1] for inspiration ...

HTH

Frank

[1] https://bitbucket.org/metrico/pretty_hillshade/overview

Am 2014-02-18 23:11, schrieb Simon Shak:
> I perform similar tasks. While there are probably some internal
> methods inside python, I make calls to ImageMagick to perform the
> image manipulation. I first write a baseline tiff with the tfw
> with gdal_translate then preform convert commands to do the image
> processing then gdal_translate again to turn the baseline tiff and
> tfw back into a geotiff. On Feb 16, 2014 5:36 AM, "Jukka Rahkonen"
> <jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was thinking that a possibility to run images through filters
>> with GDAL could be nice sometimes. Especially for visual work
>> with aerial and satellite images filters like "sharpen" of
>> "unsharp mask" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsharp_masking are
>> often very useful. But then I found that kernel filters can
>> already be used inside VRT files. Are there usage examples with
>> before-after comparison images somewhere in our documentation?
>>
>> I also found that there are some python scripts included in
>> \gdal\bin\gdal\python\scripts at least in the gisinternals GDAL
>> builds but some scripts are not listed in
>> http://gdal.org/gdal_utilities.html.  Is there some other place
>> where to find documentation about these scripts, for example
>> gdal_calc.py ? Some other than the sources, I mean.
>>
>> -Jukka Rahkonen-

- --
Frank BRONIEWSKI

METRICO s.à r.l.