[gdal-dev] Which format is the best identify a spatial reference ?

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Tue Jul 15 11:48:50 PDT 2014

Le mardi 15 juillet 2014 09:45:22, orel a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Spatial references objects can be imported / exported using OGR API to
> multiple formats : proj4, WKT, XML...
>
> Can I use one of these as a format "which describes properly every spatial
> reference" ?
>
> For example, if I use WKT as "internal format" for my application, is there
> any chance that a projection described with a proj4 string (or an EPSG code
> or whatever...) cannot be properly converted to a WKT string ?

WKT is a reasonable choice.
It might be possible that some exotic proj4 projection methods are not mapped
as OGRSpatialReference (which directly maps to/from WKT) recognized methods,
but unless you've very specific needs, that should not hurt you.
The same applies with EPSG codes. Only a few methods used by EPSG SRS have no
equivalent in the OGRSpatialReference world.

> My goal is to use a single spatial reference format when storing/loading
> work sessions of my application.
>
> Thanks.
>

> --

Geospatial professional services