[gdal-dev] Write support for MBTiles drive

Mark Johnson mj10777 at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 21 06:12:12 PDT 2014

>> Note that the licence used in the software (GNU GPL v3) is incompatible
>> with GDAL, so it cannot be included in the GDAL source tree without the
>> author's consent to use the code under another licence (such as the MIT/X
>> licence used by GDAL).

If geopaparazzi was meant by this, we have no objection for anyone to
use this code.

https://github.com/geopaparazzi/geopaparazzi/issues/189

Our class was based on the original work of 'Simon Thépot'
- which had a minimal reading logic only

I made some needed corrections and developed the writing logic.

There is also a python implementation
- class MbTiles

that can be found at:

https://github.com/mj10777/mapmbtiles/blob/master/mapmbtiles/mbtiles.py

This was an attempt to adapt the last public version of gdal2tiles.py
before it became a closed source from the original author.

- goal was to be able to store the results of gdal2tiles directly in a
mbtiles file

there are one or two functions based on other sources (and documented as such),

but otherwise a python version of the geopaparazzi version.

At
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Slippy_map_tilenames#tileinfo.sh

there is a bash version that also creates mbtiles that I wrote.

All of these versions create mbtiles with

- view/table logic as done by tilemill

-- making it possible that 'blank' image are only stored once

--- blank being all 256x256 have the same rgb value

If there are any questions, fell free to open an issue at
 https://github.com/geopaparazzi/geopaparazzi/issues

Mark Johnson, Berlin Germany