[gdal-dev] Gdal GeoTIFFs in MapInfo

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Wed Mar 12 03:32:59 PDT 2014

Le mardi 11 mars 2014 12:19:36, Jonathan Moules a écrit :
> Hi List,
> I've created a GeoTIFF with GDAL. It works fine in QGIS and ArcMap, but
> MapInfo refuses to load it, giving me a "Image file open error" message.
>
> I've come across several problems and was wondering if anyone else had
> experience with GDAL created files in MapInfo.
>
> Problems:
> 1) MapInfo can't handle compressed overviews ( *--config COMPRESS_OVERVIEW
> DEFLATE*) - I can easily get past this one by not compressing them.
>
> 2) However, my next problem is that MapInfo can't read the projection
> information from within the file. Is GDAL capable of creating a TAB file?

Not currently. It can read them, and it is used in a few drivers such as GTiff.
Writing is done only in the MapInfo TAB driver for the vector part. The
writing of .tab for raster files would only be a matter of implementing it...

> 3) Finally, while MapInfo will happily open my small subset sample (above
> issues not withstanding), it won't load my full image (about 2GB). Both are
> created using the exact same commands:
>
> gdalbuildvrt -srcnodata -9999 -vrtnodata -9999 -input_file_list
>
> > asc_list.txt merged_vrt.vrt
>
> gdal_translate -of GTiff -co TILED=YES -co COMPRESS=DEFLATE -co
>
> > BLOCKXSIZE=512 -co BLOCKYSIZE=512 -a_srs EPSG:27700 merged_vrt.vrt
> > DSM_2012-13.tif
> > gdaladdo -r average DSM_2012-13.tif 2 4 8 16 32 64
>
> It's not the overviews because it still happens when they're not generated.

Well, I don't know MapInfo limits with raster files. Perhaps is it just big
raster dimensions that cause problem, or tiling, or .. ?

--
Geospatial professional services