[gdal-dev] OpenFileGDB 10 MB field description limitation

Matthias Uden matthias.uden at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 17 11:31:00 PDT 2014

Hi list,

I'm running GDAL 1.11.1 on an Ubuntu 14.04.1 64-bit system.

ogr2ogr fails while trying to convert a Feature Class from a rather huge
FileGDB to a PostGIS table. Unfortunately, I have currently no means to
access the original GDB file directly.
It gives this error:

ERROR 1: Error occured in filegdbtable.cpp at line 659

Which breaks down to this line of code:

returnErrorIf
<http://fossies.org/dox/gdal-1.11.1/filegdbtable__priv_8h.html#a2386c8f3b2701f62e44b603c048cab4b>(nFieldDescLength
 > 10 * 1024 * 1024 || nFieldDescLength < 10 );

By putting in a debug output I figured that the "nFieldDescLength" of my
feature class is /way/ larger than the maximum allowed value of 10 MB.
In fact it's something around 1.6 GiB.... :-o   (what kind of field
description is *this*...?)

Does anyone of you have an idea on what exactly the "nFieldDescLength"
is and - more importantly - why it's limited to 10MB and if further
increasing this value would do any harm to the overall process? Is a
field description of 1.6 gigs even realistic at all or is it more likely
that I have a corrupt input file in some way? Can't I opt to just skip
the lousy field description import and still import what I'm interested
in - the /data/ itself?

Apparently there was already a bug ticket for this problem, which led to
increasing the max. value from 1 to 10 MB [1]
It seems to me this might also be related to the "big file support
problem" [2] which I thought was resolved in version 1.11.1 [3].

Any help or workaround suggestions are appreciated!
Otherwise I'll have to try if the proprietary ESRI driver can handle
this... (not tested yet).

Many thanks and best regards,
Matthias

--