[gdal-dev] JasPer vs OpenJPEG performance

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Fri Aug 7 04:17:56 PDT 2015

ewenger <ewenger <at> ara.com> writes:

> I'm building GDAL 2.0 with JPEG-2000 support for my current project and I was
> surprised about the performance differences I saw between JasPer and
> OpenJPEG.  Using JasPer, gdal_translate is able to decompress a 465 MB NITF
> C8 file in 2.3 minutes (wall clock) even though JasPer runs single-threaded.
> OpenJPEG took 4.4 minutes (wall clock) and used 24.5 minutes in CPU time
> across the four threads that were spawned.  Is there some trick to building
> OpenJPEG that I'm not following or has anyone tried to multithread JasPer?

Hi,

Could you point us any similar sample image for testing?

Based on your timings both drivers are actually unusable for any real work
with your images.  OpenJPEG is usually rather fast and much better than
JasPer but it can't handle any bigger images which are compressed into
JPEG2000 as one tile. NITF requires either that the tile size must not be
bigger that 1024x1024, or that the whole file is written as one single tile.
I believe you have such single-tile NITF file.

-Jukka Rahkonen-