[gdal-dev] Compiling gdal 1.11.1 on ubuntu 14.10

Zoltan Szecsei zoltans at geograph.co.za
Sat Jan 17 09:31:00 PST 2015

On 2015/01/16 12:20, Homme Zwaagstra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 16/01/15 07:45, Zoltan Szecsei wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I compiled QGIS 2.7 successfully on ubuntu 14.10, and then noticed
> that it had gdal 1.10, so I downloaded the source for gdal 1.11.1 and
> compiled it. > The trouble is that running gdalinfo --version still
> gives me the 1.10 version. > Can anyone spot my deliberate error?
>
> Have you tried running the ldconfig command after running `make
> install` on
> GDAL?  This should solve the dynamic link issues resulting in the
> version errors
> you're experiencing when running the GDAL 1.11.1 binaries.
>
> Alternatively you can adjust the `LD_LIBRARY_PATH` environment
> variable to point
> to `/usr/local/lib` e.g.
>
>     LD_LIBARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib ;  /usr/local/bin/gdalinfo --version
Thanks both Even & Homme for the comments.
Interestingly, I left it for a few days as I had other priorities, and
now that I've powered up the PC again, it all works! (implying that I
had some other funny setting for that session).
Regards,
Zoltan

> You should also compile any dependent software after installing your
> custom GDAL
> i.e. compile GDAL first then QGIS.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Homme

Zoltan Szecsei PrGISc [PGP0031]
Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
GIS and Photogrammetric Services

P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.

Mobile: +27-83-6004028
Fax:    +27-86-6115323     www.geograph.co.za