[gdal-dev] reading multidimension netCDF using gdal

Giuseppe Amatulli giuseppe.amatulli at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 14:33:32 PDT 2016

Hi,
I'm trying to merge this 3 tif files having different pixel resolution in
one single file.

wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29337496/nc/tpi_max_km10.tif
wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29337496/nc/tpi_max_km50.tif
wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29337496/nc/tpi_max_km100.tif

According to my understanding the only raster format  that support
different pixel resolution are  HDF & NetCDF.

I opt for the NetCDF format and I wrote the following script that, change
the format from tif to nc, change some internal parameters using NCO and in
the end merge (grupping -  in NCO terminology) the *.nc together.

longname=Topographic_position_index
VAR=tpi_max_km
for km  in 10 50 100 ;  do
    if [ $km -eq 10  ] ; then b=1 ; fi
    if [ $km -eq 50  ] ; then b=2 ; fi
    if [ $km -eq 100 ] ; then b=3 ; fi

    gdal_translate -of netCDF    -co ZLEVEL=9  -co  COMPRESS=DEFLATE  -co
FORMAT=NC4C   $VAR$km.tif   $VAR$km.nc

### Change some parameters
    ncatted  -O -a long_name,Band1,o,c,${longname}        $VAR$km.nc -h
    ncatted  -O -a long_name,lon,o,c,Longitude            $VAR$km.nc -h
    ncatted  -O -a long_name,lat,o,c,Latitude             $VAR$km.nc -h
    ncatted  -O -a _FillValue,Band1,o,i,-9999        $VAR$km.nc -h
    ncrename -v Band1,${VAR}${km}   $VAR$km.nc -h

done

# create multi-dimension nc
ncecat --gag  tpi_max_km10.nc tpi_max_km50.nc tpi_max_km100.nc    out.nc

The problem comes when I want read the output using gdal.

gdalinfo out.nc
Warning 1: out.nc is a netCDF file, but not in GMT configuration.
gdalinfo failed - unable to open 'out.nc'.

Is gdal 1.10.0 able to read multidimensional NetCDF ?
Can I do "ncecat --gag" (grouping) operation using gdal?

Any ideas?
Thanks

--
Giuseppe Amatulli, Ph.D.

Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Yale University.
Jetz Lab, OML Room 405

P.O. Box 208106
165 PROSPECT ST
New Haven, CT 06520-8106