[gdal-dev] GDAL Postgis Driver using SPI?

jramm jamessramm at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 00:39:51 PST 2016

Hi

I am working on a project to manipulate huge rasters in a postgis database.
In order to achieve best performance, we are implementing most of our code
'server-side', e.g. as a postgresql extension.

It occurs to me that another GDAL postgis driver using SPI
(http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/spi.html) instead of libpq
would be entirely feasible and offer better performance as it executes
directly against the database. Making it perfect in situations where:

- The postgres database is local (so using libpq to setup a network
connection is not necessarily the best method)
- You want best read/write performance and are happy to only operate gdal
'server side'
- You want to use gdal in order to write postgres/postgis extensions in C
and expose them to clients as SQL (e.g. thin clients, webapps etc..)

Using SPI would require building the driver against postgres and is somewhat
similar to using libpq, such that much of the existing code in the postgis
raster driver can be reused.

Any thoughts on this?