[gdal-dev] Programmatic creation of VRT

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Tue Jun 14 08:37:46 PDT 2016

Le mardi 14 juin 2016 17:27:01, Julien Michel a écrit :
> Dear all,
>
> Quick question about VRT programmatic creation. I have a list of files
> corresponding to different tiles of an image and I am writing some code
> to generate a mosaic VRT. For now I do it by directly writing XML to
> iostream but I saw that there is actually an API to do this in GDAL.
> This would be more convenient to report correctly metadata, geotransform
> and wkt ... Thing is, from the doxygen of VRTRasterBand and VRTDataset,
> it is not obvious if and how this can be done, and the VRT tutorial does
> not help much (my use case does not correspond to any of those
> presented). Does somebody know how to do this, or shall I stick to
> writing my own XML stuff to iostream ?

Julien,

Since GDAL 2.1, if your need is basically what gdalbuildvrt does, you could
call GDALBuildVRT() :
http://gdal.org/gdal__utils_8h.html#a057aaea8b0ed0476809a781ffa377ea4

Otherwise, you can study how VRTBuilder::CreateVRTNonSeparate() uses the
VRTDataset/Band API :
https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/blob/trunk/gdal/apps/gdalbuildvrt_lib.cpp#L848

Even