[gdal-dev] Google Summer of Code

Tanuj Kumar kmrtnjscnc at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 01:35:13 PDT 2016

Hello Dmitry,

I have made the necessary changes to libpng, you can check it here :
https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/pull/110/files

I have finally been able to download the source properly, and then I ran
the PNG test.
Out of 14 tests, 1 failed. Here are the details:

  TEST: png_1 ... success
  TEST: png_2 ... success
  TEST: png_3 ... success
  TEST: png_4 ... success
  TEST: png_5 ... success
  TEST: png_6 ... success
  TEST: png_7 ... success
  TEST: png_8 ... success
  TEST: png_9 ... success
  TEST: png_10 ... success
  TEST: png_11 ... success
  TEST: png_12 ... success
  TEST: png_13 ... success
  TEST: png_14 ... None
fail
    line 317: failure

Test Script: png
Succeeded: 13
Failed:    1 (0 blew exceptions)
Skipped:   0
Expected fail:0
Duration:  0.04s

Found libgdal we are running against : /usr/local/lib/libgdal.so.20.0.2

I checked png.py, and test 14 is "Test support for nbits < 8".

Could you please advise me how to proceed now?

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 2:07 AM, Tanuj Kumar <kmrtnjscnc at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> I compare current libpng folder and previous one:
>> 1. You include a lot of files needed to build standalone library, but not
>> need in GDAL sources tree (like configure, CMakeLists.txt, etc.).
>> 2. The makefile.vc removed and it seems to me the windows build will
>> fail in that case.
>> 3. There was a libpng_gdal.patch file, are you sure that this file is not
>> necessary?
>> 4. You included several files need for libpng unit testing, but not
>> needed by GDAL. According to GNUMakefile in png folder, it get all *.c
>> files from libpng folder, so we need minimum set of *.c and *.h files there
>> (but enough for VC building too).
>>
>> About python support - do you did sudo make install (Linux)? The only
>> building is not enough to have python bindings work (there is a tick with
>> PYTHONPATH, but not sure that it works.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>     Dmitry
>>
>> 20.03.2016 10:15, Tanuj Kumar пишет:
>>
>> Hello Dmitry,
>> Sorry for the long delay, my exams had the better of me, but now they're
>> over :) .
>> I have updated libpng 1.6.21 and i have created a pull request after
>> removing files from original libpng 1.6.21 that I think would not be
>> required as a library in GDAL.
>> All test on travis have been passed, and you can see the pull request
>> here : https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/pull/108
>>
>> As for building on desktop, I configured with python, but the same issue
>> of "ImportError: No module named osgeo persists". I am trying to understand
>> why this is happening, and am working out how to get rid of this problem by
>> reading GDAL wiki.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Tanuj
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 1:24 AM, Dmitry Baryshnikov <bishop.dev at gmail.com
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Tanuj,
>>>
>>> The error: ImportError: No module named osgeo
>>> is because you build gdal without python support (you need python with
>>> developers headers).
>>> On Linux Linux this is done via such command:
>>> ./configure --with-python ... <other config options>
>>>
>>> On Windows it depends how you build. On Windows I launch separate tests
>>> successfully but never try the whole tests (run_all.py).
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>>     Dmitry
>>>
>>> 14.03.2016 19:11, Tanuj Kumar пишет:
>>>
>>> Hello Dmitry,
>>> I was reading up on the gdalautotest wiki(
>>> <http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/TestingNotes>
>>> http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/TestingNotes), and it says, "After
>>> building with either the old or new generation python bindings, and
>>> installing them (or adding them to your path from the build tree)..."
>>>
>>> I could not understand what that means. I guess this is important
>>> because when I tried the commands given on that page, I got the following
>>> error :
>>>
>>> File "./run_all.py", line 37, in <module>
>>> File"pymod/gdaltest.py", line 37, in <module>