[gdal-dev] DODS driver (packagers recommended to disable it)

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Nov 9 02:03:43 PST 2016

Le mercredi 09 novembre 2016 08:12:16, Sebastiaan Couwenberg a écrit :
> Via Launchpad issue #1640360 [0] I was informed about a segfault in the
> DODS driver when fed a JSON URL. In the related IRC discussion packagers
> are recommended to disable the DODS driver. [1]
>
> Is the DODS driver so error prone to make this recommendation?

Hi Bas,

AFAIR, I hadn't compiled it in years before a few minutes ago (nor can I remember
any question or bug reports related to it in recent time, except crashes or annoyances[1] occuring
with non DODS related URL, hence a sign it might be only of marginal use) and
my past memories with it were not so good when it is fed with "random" URLs. I somehow
remember crashes occuring in libdap itself (perhaps due to how the driver uses it?),
but perhaps the situation in it has improved with more recent versions of libdap.

Here the crash occurred in the GDAL driver code, so I've fixed it per https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/6718 /
https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/changeset/36175, which you might backport in the Debian
package.

Note: I just tried on a valid DODS URL in trunk
http://nomads.ncdc.noaa.gov/dods/NCEP_NAM/subsets/nam_218_winds?ugrd10m[0][y][x]
and it crashed. Appeared to be a trunk-only regression (now fixed) introduced 2 months ago.
So nobody using trunk has used the GDAL DODS driver in the mean time (which probably
doesn't tell much when you multiply low pct of users tracking trunck * low pct of users
using the DODS driver :-))
I also see that the tests in the test suite are skipped since none of the test servers used
seem to be valid anymore.

Even

[1] https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/6682