[gdal-dev] C++11 timeline

Kurt Schwehr schwehr at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 20:19:50 PST 2017

Checking http://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/compiler_support shows C++11
support starting to take shape starting with gcc 4.3 (but it's missing
almost everything at that point).

Greg,

Can you explain the use case as to what keeps you on an older NetBSD but
unable to use a branch of a recent GDAL?  e.g. I'm am suggesting that we
keep GDAL 2.1 and older to stay with the current requirement of supporting
C++03.

As for boost, my experiences are that would be far more effort support it
on many platforms than getting a working C++11 compiler.  Boost is full of
really awesome code, but there be dragons and really careful consideration
should be made before requiring boost for any code that will have to be
linked against by other libraries.

-kurt

http://schwehr.org