[gdal-dev] GDAL Cubic Interpolation

Harvey Berger harvey.l.berger at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 10:06:10 PDT 2017

Thanks Joaquim and Even,

Per my email I augmented the original GLOBE image and created a properly
referenced image using gdal_translate as follows: I did an imread from
QGIS/GDAL into Octave, added the appropriate 24 rows and columns on each
side, and did an imwrite back to QGIS/GDAL to continue processing; however,
I'm having a problem with negative elevations probably due to data type
confusion.

1. GDAL reports the data type of the original GLOBE tiff file as int16.
(file = output1.tiff)
2. After using imread in Octave, Octave reports the data type as uint16.
3. I retained the uint16 data type in Octave and added the additional rows
and columns.
4. I did an imwrite to create the augmented file. (file=output2.tiff)
5. GDAL reports the data type of the augmented files as uint16.
6. I performed the following GDAL command: gdal_translate -a_ullr ulx uly
lrx lry src_dataset dst_dataset. (file=output3.tiff)
7. I then used gdalwarp to create the subsampled and cubic interpolated
file (file=sample.tiff); GDAL report the data type as int16.

The problem is with locations with negative elevations that result in
erroneous results when I subsequent subsample using gdal_warp. Here are the
elevations reported by GDAL for one example pixel in the Caspian Sea:
output1.tiff (int16): -28 m
output2.tiff (uint16): 65508 m
output3.tiff (uint16): 65508 m

Unfortunately, Octave will not perform an imwrite with a int16 data type.
Is it possible to fix this within QGIS/GDAL or is there another solution?

Thanks again for your help.

Kind regards,

Harvey