[gdal-dev] RFC68: C++11 compilation mode - Call for vote on adoption

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Wed Sep 6 12:48:11 PDT 2017

On 6 September 2017 at 21:21, Joaquim Luis <jluis at ualg.pt> wrote:
> Kurt,
>
> The Tamas SDKs are not enough as to provide all the dependencies to a GDAL
> Win installation. It miss all those dlls (didn't check if the list is
> complete) that the VS2015/17 builds now depend on. So if one wants to
> distribute a program that depends on GDAL (GMT, in y case) that long list of
> dlls must be supplied as well or otherwise tell users that they have to
> install a MS distributable package.
>
> Not a killer feature but annoying certainly.
>
> Yes, if one remains at GDAL <= 2.2 this issue does not exist.
> I'm not building GDAL against GEOS so didn't know about it C++11
> requirement.
>
> Side and non relevant info, 3 weeks ago I was at the Southern Hemisphere.
>

> Joaquim
>
> api-ms-win-core-console-l1-1-0.dll
> api-ms-win-core-datetime-l1-1-0.dll
> api-ms-win-core-debug-l1-1-0.dll
> [...]

Those belong to Windows Universal Windows Platform API.
Those are NOT required by any C/C++ native classic software
developed for Windows using VS2015/2017.
Check [2] for details.

I suggest you do a test: install Python 3.6.2 or later (built using VS2015)
on Windows w/o VS2015/2017 and check what VC++ CRT DLLs it deploys.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Windows_Platform
[2] https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/productinfo/vs2017-compatibility-vs