[gdal-dev] Compile gdal with expat support on AWS Linux

Tobias Reinicke ramotswa at gmail.com
Sat Jan 20 04:04:42 PST 2018

Hello,

I've been trying to get gdal compiled to be able to read GML files - but I
keep on getting expat / Xerces errors.
I am working on an AWS AMI that matches the AWS Lambda environment (as I'm
trying to get this working in Lambda really).(AMI:
amzn-ami-hvm-2017.03.1.20170812-x86_64-gp2 / amiId: ami-ebd02392)

I'm following these steps;

wget
http://sourceforge.net/projects/expat/files/expat/2.1.0/expat-2.1.0.tar.gz
tar -xzf expat-2.1.0.tar.gz
cd expat-2.1.0/
./configure --prefix=/tmp
make
make install

wget http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/2.2.3/gdal-2.2.3.tar.gz
tar xzf gdal-2.2.3.tar.gz
cd gdal-2.2.3
./configure --without-ld-shared --disable-shared --enable-static
--with-curl --prefix /tmp/gdal --with-expat=/tmp/
make
make install

In the gdal ./configure step I am getting the output;

checking for Expat XML Parser headers in /tmp//include... found
checking for Expat XML Parser... yes
checking if Expat XML Parser version is >= 1.95.0... yes

and later
Expat support:             yes

I then run make + make install, and to test I just do;
./gdal-2.2.3/apps/ogrinfo mygmlfile
which gives me the error;

ERROR 1: Unable to create Xerces C++ or Expat based GML reader, Xerces or
Expat support not configured into GDAL/OGR.
ERROR 1: File data/tmpX9fQKT/HP6000 appears to be GML but the GML reader
can't
be instantiated, likely because Xerces or Expat support was
not configured in.
FAILURE:
Unable to open datasource `data/tmpX9fQKT/HP6000' with the following
drivers.

Does anybody have an idea what I might be doing wrong? Any tips greatly
received.

Toby