[gdal-dev] Help with idiomatic GDAL solution for raster algebra benchmark

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Thu Jun 14 08:33:46 PDT 2018

On 14 June 2018 at 14:17, Alex HighViz <alexhighviz at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I few times I have posted to the list trying to promote the idea of
> providing iterators over pixels in a raster band , and more generally to
> make raster data accessible using (future) standard conforming ranges.

In case you are not aware, Boost.GIL provides such abstractions [1]
It's not yet pure C++20 ranges, there will be at some point.
Although Boost.GIL design is a complex one, it's IMHO not trivial to beat
its feature-completness, flexibility, extensibility and performance it
can generate.

FYI, I have half-baked IO extension for GDAL.
I'm going to continue/finish it as soon as next Boost version is released
which should include completely new version of IO layer.
Then, it can become another one to compare in your benchmark.

[1] http://boostorg.github.io/gil/develop/doc/html/design_guide.html
[2] https://lists.boost.org/boost-announce/2011/01/0281.php