[gdal-dev] GDAL, Proj and cacert

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Fri Feb 11 11:41:31 PST 2022

On 2022-02-11 3:29 p.m., Howard Butler wrote:

>> On Feb 11, 2022, at 1:25 PM, Jeff McKenna
>> <jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com <mailto:jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com>>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for this discussion Paul, I can also add into the chaos that
>> Windows Server x64 has known issues with reading environment variables
>
> What does this mean, specifically? Much of GDAL's behavior is controlled
> with environment variables.
>
> Has Windows changed policies on how environment variables are expressed,
> consumed, and provided to processes? Is that simply just the case for
> running in an HTTP server like IIS?
>
> Howard

It's a frustrating situation, where users report that Windows Server x64
cannot find cacert (and other) environment variables, through both IIS
and Apache.  This is years old, terribly difficult to reproduce, but I
did once reproduce on an AWS server.  At the time I was only focused on
the HTTP server side of things, so I cannot say here confidently how
commandline processes are affected.

Unfortunately this issue comes up very often, as you said, so much of
our stack relies heavily on environment variables.  My hope is that in
the long run, the ini-style of settings can help battle this Windows
Server x64 issue (yes googling this does return many
unproven/non-reproducible reports for other projects, very disheartening).

-jeff