[gdal-dev] GDAL, Proj and cacert

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Fri Feb 11 11:48:03 PST 2022

> On Feb 11, 2022, at 1:41 PM, Jeff McKenna <jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com> wrote:
>
> Unfortunately this issue comes up very often, as you said, so much of our stack relies heavily on environment variables.  My hope is that in the long run, the ini-style of settings can help battle this Windows Server x64 issue (yes googling this does return many unproven/non-reproducible reports for other projects, very disheartening).

The frustrations of how to pass environment variables in different computing environments is an issue that's orthogonal to how GDAL expresses configuration through environment variables. I get that the rules of environment variable resolution can be quite bespoke depending on the computing platform and environment you are operating on, but it's not legit to say "environment variables don't always work for me, we should do config files, but I don't have a reproducible test case to show that"

Howard