[gdal-dev] convert NETCDF to Geotiff upside down

Michael Sumner mdsumner at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 14:17:40 PDT 2023

there is no georeferencing with this one, but as you say it has internal
coordinates (which GDAL interprets as "geolocation arrays")

so, run it through the warper i.e.

gdalwarp NETCDF:GLOBCOMPLIR_nc.2023080819:data ofn.tif

With that you can (and should) set your desired extent (-te), dimensions
(-ts) [or resolution -tr], and crs (-t_crs) but GDAL will produce an output
that works by heuristics if you specify none (or some) of those.

I did the following just for fun to see if the non-downloading pathway
would work it (not sure if the config is required or not, for testing
purposes I set dimension to 1024,0 which means GDAL figures out a sensible
aspect ratio - just remove -ts when you're happy with the result for full
resolution. )

gdalwarp --config AWS_NO_SIGN_REQUEST "YES"
NETCDF:"/vsis3/noaa-gmgsi-pds/GMGSI_LW/2023/08/08/19/GLOBCOMPLIR_nc.2023080819":data
-ts 1024 0 GLOBCOMPLIR_nc.2023080819_test.tif

(some details might not work depending on your GDAL version)

Cheers, Mike

On Thu, Aug 10, 2023 at 6:30 AM Dori <izzybitsie at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I tried to convert the NETCDF stored in
> https://noaa-gmgsi-pds.s3.amazonaws.com/index.html#GMGSI_LW/202308/08/19/GLOBCOMPLIR_nc.2023080819
>  to Geotiff format using following command:
>
> gdal_translate 0ol GTiff -a_srs EPSG:4326 -aullr -180 -72.7 179.9 -72.7
> -co “COMPRESS=LZW” NETCDF:GLOBCOMPLIR_nc.2023080819:data ofn.tif
>
> ofn.tif is upside down.  North latitude points are in South and viceversa.
>
> How can I solve this upside down output?
> What causes this?
>
> I did notice that the points in the NETCDF file are not equidistant  what
> could be my issue.
>
> Thank you for any hint on how to go about getting the correct Geotiff
> output

Michael Sumner
Software and Database Engineer
Australian Antarctic Division