[gdal-dev] Requiring numpy for the Python bindings

Kurt Schwehr schwehr at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 10:50:25 PST 2023

I lean towards just requiring numpy. It's super common and once a system
brings in gdal python, it can't be a super constrained env where keeping
things really small is critical. Just requiring numpy simplifies a number
of aspects.

I think the setup.py topic as a whole is somewhat separate.l.  So
whichever way the numpy dep goes (required or optional), switching to
pyproject.toml seems important. I'm fairly new to pyproject.toml, so I
might be missing something.

-Kurt