[gdal-dev] Requiring numpy for the Python bindings

Daniel Evans daniel.fred.evans at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 14:51:38 PST 2023

Agree with Kurt - it's always struck me as a little surprising that it was
optional. There's also not very much of a Python stack you can build that
involves GDAL but doesn't pull in Numpy through another dependency, as Even
said.

I would've thought that in any constrained environment where GDAL is
required, but Numpy is too much of a overhead, that using Python would be a
somewhat unusual choice to go with over the many other bindings that GDAL
offers.

Cheers,
Daniel