[gdal-dev] GTiff bit shuffle compression feature request

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri Dec 8 11:32:50 PST 2023

Le 08/12/2023 à 20:23, Laurențiu Nicola via gdal-dev a écrit :

> On Fri, Dec 8, 2023, at 21:11, Even Rouault wrote:
>>

>>>  - GeoTIFF DEFLATE 280 MB
>> Is it with PREDICTOR=3 ?  (If not, then the ZARR datasets should also
>> be compressed with FILTER=DELTA to have a fair comparison)
>
> I would expect a fair comparison to be between PREDICTOR=3 and
> FILTER=DELTA and not the other way around,

yes, poor wording of mine. I meant that if using PREDICTOR=3, one should
compare with FILTER=DELTA. But looking more closely, they are not
strictly equivalent. PREDICTOR=3 applies the delta as b[0]-a[0],
b[1]-a[1], b[2]-a[2], b[3]-a[3] where a[0...3] and b[0...3] are seen as
the 4 byte representation of the float32, whereas FILTER=DELTA does the
difference b_float - a_float as floating point. This isn't the same...