[gdal-dev] Virtual Raster Tile Index (VRTTI) driver, and associated gdaltindex improvements

Andrew C Aitchison andrew at aitchison.me.uk
Thu Dec 21 04:55:06 PST 2023

On Wed, 20 Dec 2023, Even Rouault via gdal-dev wrote:

> Hi,
>
> For those not actively following github tickets & PR, I just
> want to point to a new pending major functionality to improve
> management of virtual mosaics with a very large number of
> tiles/sources (> tens of thousands of tiles), by referencing
> them as features of a vector layer (typically created by
> gdaltindex), instead of a XML file as in traditional VRT,
> augmented with additional metadata.
>
> More details in https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/pull/8983 (and in
> initial ticket in https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/issues/8861)

Am I right in thinking that all the tiles must have the same
bit-depth and colour interpretation and for paletted tiles
the same colour table ?

I am aware of a vendor whose products had different colour tables,
and even different bit-depths, for each tile - a sort of adaptive
compression.

--
Andrew C. Aitchison                      Kendal, UK
                    andrew at aitchison.me.uk