[gdal-dev] PROJ Data

Scott Arnold scottcarnold2 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 13:43:15 PST 2023

 Greetings GDAL Community,

I've been working with GDAL lately, and I have a question for more
experienced GDAL users or developers.  GDAL has a dependency on PROJ.  I
know some GDAL functions, for example, will respond with an error message
if the proj.db cannot be found, and there is a dependency on PROJ during
the GDAL build.  PROJ has a rather large collection of data packaged
separately from the PROJ source code (described in PROJ-data readme as
containing shift grids for horizontal and vertical coordinate
transformations.). You can build both PROJ and GDAL without PROJ data, and
the GDAL functions I've used (albeit I've only used a few) seem unaffected
by not having PROJ data.  Can any of you provide any insights into what the
implications are of having PROJ data installed vs. not installed?

Thank you,

Scott Arnold