[gdal-dev] Instructions for a new writing driver?

Abel Pau a.pau at creaf.uab.cat
Wed Jul 5 06:13:22 PDT 2023

Thanks you both!

De: gdal-dev <gdal-dev-bounces at lists.osgeo.org> En nombre de Even Rouault
Enviado el: dimecres, 5 de juliol de 2023 13:59
Para: gdal-dev at lists.osgeo.org
Asunto: Re: [gdal-dev] Instructions for a new writing driver?

(resending to list)

The CSV driver is actually not that simple to follow since it has tricks to support updates through the OGREditableLayer mechanism. The GMT one (ogr/ogrsf_frmts/gmt) might be a better start for a creation & append only driver. But basically, the only common thing with your own code will be the fact that you have to implement the 2 virtual methods of interest: OGRLayer::CreateField() ,d OGRLayer::ICreateFeature() and declare a few capabilities in OGRLayer::TestCapability()

Unless you want to implement update capabilities (if the format allows it, which is generally not the case for a text based format), it might be simpler to have 2 distinct OGRLayer sub-classes for read-only and write-only operations.
Even