[gdal-dev] Instructions for a new writing driver?

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Jul 5 04:59:19 PDT 2023

(resending to list)

The CSV driver is actually not that simple to follow since it has tricks
to support updates through the OGREditableLayer mechanism. The GMT one
(ogr/ogrsf_frmts/gmt) might be a better start for a creation & append
only driver. But basically, the only common thing with your own code
will be the fact that you have to implement the 2 virtual methods of
interest: OGRLayer::CreateField() ,d OGRLayer::ICreateFeature() and
declare a few capabilities in OGRLayer::TestCapability()

Unless you want to implement update capabilities (if the format allows
it, which is generally not the case for a text based format), it might
be simpler to have 2 distinct OGRLayer sub-classes for read-only and
write-only operations.

Even