[gdal-dev] Viewshed potential issue?

Benoît DesRochers Benoit.DesRochers2 at USherbrooke.ca
Fri Jul 7 10:21:00 PDT 2023

Hello there,

Long story short, I'm trying to generate a viewshed for every cell in a raster and add them all up to get a new raster that would represent how many pixels can be seen from every cell. It takes a while, but it works!

The problem is that I'm using non-default observer and target height values (2m observer and 0.5m target) and the results are significantly different when I invert them (Use the target height as the observer and the observer as the target height). From what I understand, most viewshed algorithms don't compute sightlines for every cell but use a reference plane instead and I'm thinking that might be where the problem comes from but I'm not sure.

Am I doing something wrong or is that an expected outcome?

Thanks,
Benoît