[gdal-dev] ogrinfo Unable to identify source geometry field with GDAL 3.7 but not 3.3?

Gary Turner g at elizr.com
Mon Jul 10 18:55:43 PDT 2023

Hi,
Apologies if this isn't the right place to ask, but I am struggling to
work out what's going on.
I'm setting up a new windows machine to process address data provided by
a local agency. I've downloaded new versions of software.
I use ogr2ogr to load csv files via a vrt file into postgres. This works
fine with my old setup, and has worked with various older versions as well.
However with the latest ogr2ogr it fails. ogrinfo --version says GDAL
3.7.0, released 2023/05/02

P:\bin\gdal37>.\ogrinfo.exe C:\temp\addresses.vrt
INFO: Open of `C:\temp\addresses.vrt'
       using driver `OGR_VRT' successful.
1: addressesERROR 1: Unable to identify source geometry field 'WKT' for
geometry.
  (None)

but with an older version GDAL 3.3.1, released 2021/06/28
P:\bin\gdal33>.\ogrinfo.exe C:\temp\addresses.vrt
INFO: Open of `C:\temp\addresses.vrt'
       using driver `OGR_VRT' successful.
1: addresses (Point)

I get the same failure with ogr2ogr, but ogrinfo seemed simpler and
there's a much less complicated command-line.
I've cut this down to a one-field, one-line of csv example that does the
same thing, if that's useful.

Is this expected?
Is there an easy work-around, that would work with both versions?
Please let me know if I'm missing something obvious or just being dumb,
or should  ask elsewhere.

Thanks
Gary