[gdal-dev] Shapefile: Write alternative PRJ WKT format

Javier Jimenez Shaw j1 at jimenezshaw.com
Mon Jul 10 01:06:54 PDT 2023

Hi Craig

Shape File is a format defined by ESRI. Therefore the .prj file is written
in ESRI "dialect", compatible with their software.
A naïve solution to your problem (to generate you shape files using GDAL
dialect of WKT1), could be that you just create the shape files without any
specific SRS, and then add yourself the .prj file generated with your
preferred tool.
See that those files may not be supported by every software.

Cheers