[gdal-dev] Improving details of the project build system and/or documentation

Sean Gillies sean.gillies at gmail.com
Fri May 19 16:26:26 PDT 2023

Hi all,

I really appreciate the documentation at
https://gdal.org/development/building_from_source.html. But there are gaps.
For example, today I ran into

CMake Error at cmake/helpers/GdalDriverHelper.cmake:331 (message):
GDAL_ENABLE_DRIVER_AIGRID cannot be enabled because condition
OGR_ENABLE_DRIVER_AVC is not met. To ignore this error (but the driver
will not be built), set the GDAL_IGNORE_FAILED_CONDITIONS variable

This dependence isn't documented. It's a bit frustrating to work through
missing directives one at a time when adding new drivers to my build.

Is it possible for a driver's dependencies to be enabled when I enable a
driver?

If not, can we consider using GDAL maintenance funding and resources on
documenting the heck out of this system?

--
Sean Gillies