[gdal-dev] Improving details of the project build system and/or documentation

Brad Hards bradh at frogmouth.net
Fri May 19 17:10:41 PDT 2023

On Saturday, 20 May 2023 9:26:26 AM AEST Sean Gillies wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I really appreciate the documentation at
> https://gdal.org/development/building_from_source.html. But there are gaps.
> For example, today I ran into
>
> CMake Error at cmake/helpers/GdalDriverHelper.cmake:331 (message):
> GDAL_ENABLE_DRIVER_AIGRID cannot be enabled because condition
> OGR_ENABLE_DRIVER_AVC is not met. To ignore this error (but the driver
> will not be built), set the GDAL_IGNORE_FAILED_CONDITIONS variable
>
> This dependence isn't documented. It's a bit frustrating to work through
> missing directives one at a time when adding new drivers to my build.

While I appreciate that it is frustrating, there probably aren't that many people who
regularly do custom builds (and of those, having stuff magically turned on
probably isn't expected).

There is a list in the source code:

https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/blob/master/frmts/CMakeLists.txt[1]

- just scan fro gdal_dependent_format

and also at

https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/blob/master/ogr/ogrsf_frmts/CMakeLists.txt#L53-L108[2]

for OGR formats

> Is it possible for a driver's dependencies to be enabled when I enable a
> driver?
>
> If not, can we consider using GDAL maintenance funding and resources on
> documenting the heck out of this system?

While sympathising with your frustration, I don't see this as a high priority activity.
That said, it probably wouldn't be that hard to scan through the CMakeLists with a
simple script and generate it.

Brad

--------
[1] https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/blob/master/frmts/CMakeLists.txt