[gdal-dev] GDAL 3.8.0beta1 available for testing

Sean Gillies sean.gillies at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 08:32:21 PDT 2023

Hi Even,

Rasterio's CI picked up a change to the AAIGrid driver in 3.8. The 3.7
version driver used to have whitespace before a row and no whitespace
after. It looks like this has flipped in 3.8. Is it intentional? I only
noticed because one of my tests is parsing the file as text. It's certainly
not a big deal. Hopefully this format has mostly expired on the internet :)

On Tue, Oct 31, 2023 at 8:34 AM Even Rouault via gdal-dev <
gdal-dev at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've prepared a beta1 of GDAL 3.8.0 to get feedback from earlier testers.
>
> Sorry no updated NEWS.md file yet, but I'd in particular be interesting
> by testing of ogr2ogr workflows, since they have underwent significant
> changes in the underlying implementation:
>
> - when the source layer is a layer implementing the ArrowStream API
> (that is  GeoPackage, FlatGeoBuf, Arrow or Parquet), and when no ogr2ogr
> options than -of, -where, -spat, -lco, -dsco, -gt,
> -append/-overwrite/-update are used (and -sql as well for GeoPackage).
> When enabling CPL_DEBUG, you'll see a "OGR2OGR: Using WriteArrowBatch()"
> trace when that new code path is taken. If specifying other options, the
> feature-iteration-based traditional implementation is used
>
> - and/or when the output layer is GeoPackage (new layer), due to the
> revamped much faster spatial index creation.  This enhanced spatial
> index creation is not ogr2ogr specific and is actually available more
> generally for CreateLayer() + CreateFeature() or CreateLayer() +
> WriteArrowBatch() scenarios.
>
> Point of attention would be when in situations with large files and/or
> with low RAM.
>
> The ghcr.io/osgeo/gdal:ubuntu-small-latest,
> ghcr.io/osgeo/gdal:ubuntu-full-latest,
> ghcr.io/osgeo/gdal:alpine-normal-latest Docker images have been
> refreshed with 3.8.0beta1 (ghcr.io/osgeo/gdal:alpine-small-latest still
> building at time of writing).
>
> (Note: the GDAL master conda builds mentioned at
> https://gdal.org/download.html#gdal-master-conda-builds have been broken
> for a couple weeks and are thus not usable to test beta1 currently. I'm
> investigating)
>
> Source snapshots at:
>
> - https://download.osgeo.org/gdal/3.8.0/gdal-3.8.0beta1.tar.gz
>
> - https://download.osgeo.org/gdal/3.8.0/gdal-3.8.0beta1.tar.xz