[gdal-dev] Is the SOSI Norwegian driver still useful?

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Tue Nov 14 11:05:09 PST 2023

Le 14/11/2023 à 19:48, Sebastiaan Couwenberg via gdal-dev a écrit :
> On 11/14/23 19:16, Even Rouault via gdal-dev wrote:
>> ==> Are there users still using the existing OGR SOSI driver ?
>
> We don't have metrics for the OGR driver, but libfyba0 still has 513
> users in popcon.
>
>  https://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=fyba

Bas,

Looking in the same column in
https://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=gdal shows that gdal-bin would
have only 520 users...  which seems highly suspiciously low compared to
the super specialized and low level libfyba.  I would bet that > 99% of
installations of libfyba0 are because libgdal links to it, which doesn't
mean that it is used for useful stuff (the other reverse dependency of
libfyba in Debian is sosi2osm, which according to
https://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=sosi2osm, has only 3 users)

What if people build a Docker image of GDAL from source and install its
dependencies with apt install libfyba-dev: will that trigger a hit in
popcorn?

I'm more interested in Norwegian flesh and bones users testifying about
their use or non-use of SOSI.

Even