[gdal-dev] Motion: adopt RFC 96: Deferred C++ plugin loading

Sean Gillies sean.gillies at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 17:20:53 PST 2023

Hi Even,

I think this makes great sense for the project. I don't yet understand what
it means for an enterprise like Rasterio's PyPI wheels.

Here's a refresher for people who aren't familiar with Python packaging
tools like delocate, auditwheel, and delvewheel. Today, these tools detect
when Rasterio extension modules link libgdal, and then find the libraries
that libgdal links via metadata in the shared libraries. This allows
libgdal and its dependencies to be relocated so that they can be
distributed alongside Rasterio's Python and extension modules.

I don't know that delocate et al will be able to find libraries that are
dlopened by the new GDAL proxy drivers. Does anyone else know? I'm starting
a new job this week and may not have time to experiment until next week.

--
Sean Gillies